Can Bearded Dragons Eat Bananas? Yes but how much?
- Many new owners are concerned about whether bearded dragons can eat bananas. It is a popular, delicious, and inexpensive food that beardes can enjoy.
- This guide will cover everything you need about feeding your bearded dragon bananas. This guide will teach you about nutrition, benefits, how to feed them, and much more.
- Bearded dragons love all kinds of fruits and are a very popular pet. If you have bananas at home and are wondering if your pet can eat them, it is safe. But, you need to be careful. Continue reading to learn more about the benefits and drawbacks of giving bananas as a treat to your pet.
How much banana should bearded dragons eat?
- Bananas contain many vitamins and minerals, making them a nutritious fruit. Bananas can be given to your dragon in small amounts (e.g., a few pieces or half of a banana depending on how big your lizard is).
- Vitamins A, C and E, which help the dragon’s vision, immunity system, reproduction, growth, and vision
- Potassium is essential for muscle function and prevents kidney disease. It also lowers water retention.
- Antioxidants lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of developing heart disease.
- Calcium, iron, magnesium and other minerals are good for strengthening bones and tissue.
A little bit of banana can go a long distance for your bearded friend. However, if eaten frequently, bananas can paralyze or even kill your dragon.
- To keep their bones strong, bearded dragons depend on calcium. Calcium is essential for beardies’ bone health, and overall wellbeing. It is therefore recommended that you dust your dragon with calcium powder. It is important that the calcium and phosphorus in a dragon’s diet should be balanced (from 1.1-2.1). Otherwise, the phosphorous will bind with the calcium, preventing the calcium from reaching the dragon’s body.
- When a dragon repeatedly consumes a phosphorus-rich, calcium-low food, the debilitating and deadly condition MBD (metabolic bone disease) can result, causing your pet significant pain and even paralysis. So that’s why bearded dragons can eat bananas only in small doses once or twice a month.
- Another reason dragons shouldn’t be eating too many bananas: they contain a lot of sugar when ripe. Similar to humans, It’s perfectly fine for dragons to have some sugar…but too much can cause obesity and other health issues. (Too much fruit can even cause some dragons to turn away from their veggies.) Because of this, fruit should be the smallest portion of your dragon’s diet.
- Although a banana is fine for bearded dragons, it is best to avoid giving them too many. This will help prevent any health problems that excess phosphorus or low calcium may cause. You can provide your bearded Dragon with tasty treats that are low in phosphorus and high in calcium. You can give your bearded dragon a varied diet by giving it occasionally using the techniques we have outlined. This will help improve their quality and life expectancy.
If you ask what other vegetables you can eat, you can look at this article.